Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Angeletti Cookies: Lemon Iced Cookies

Angeletti Cookies: Lemon Iced Cookies

I found this in composition book that my mother's mother, Grandmom Rose, wrote her recipes in. Since my Grandmom Rose passed away 44 years ago, my mom didn't know much about this recipe. I was hoping she would be some help with this one because A. I only know about 3 Italian cookies by their actual name and this was not one of them. B. It calls for "flour as needed" WHAT?!? Unfortunately I was on my own with this!

Angeletti
1 Cup Salad Oil
6 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp Lemon Extract
6 Tsp Baking Powder
Flour as needed to make dough
Note:  Salad Oil is just a light flavored oil like Vegetable.
You can use just about any flavor of extract you want. I used Vanilla because I was out of Lemon.
The Flour amount was about 5 cups. I stopped adding flour as soon as the dough was workable it was a little stickier than the consistency of sugar cookie dough.

Mix ingredients together to make dough
Roll out into strips about as thick as your finger and 6" long
Roll them spirally into the shape of a beehive
Bake at 350 in preheated oven for 10 mins
While warm spread with lemon glaze icing

Note: You do not have to make them into beehive shapes. A lot of times these seem to just be a ball. They puff up quite a bit, but don't spread much so I loaded up the pans since it makes about 5 dozen cookies. My husband and liked these best when they were a bit smaller so I would suggest rolling the dough to 4" long  and thinner than the thickness of your finger, especially if you have thick fingers like myself!






Glaze
Stir just enough lemon juice and a little grated rind into 1/2 cup confectioners sugar to make paste

Note: I found that you want a pretty thick paste, the cookies are not that exciting on their own so this glaze gives them most of their flavor






.
Once these were done and tasted my parents and I agreed that it was a staple of the cookie trays and Holiday celebrations but they were usually in the shape of a ball which may be why we didn't remember them when looking over the recipe. They also taste a lot like an Italian filled cookie without the filling.These go really well with a hot cup of coffee or tea on a cold day! If you decide to try them feel free to post your thoughts and pictures!

Buon Appetito,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment