Thursday, December 12, 2013

Embarking on a Culinary Journey through my Family's History

Embarking on a Culinary Journey through my Family's History


In an attempt to preserve my family’s recipes which are now yellowed and aging, I was going to put them into digital format and make each dish. I’ve decided to take it a little further and share these recipes and any stories that I may have about them. I am hoping that through this project my family will be able to restart traditions and keep the ones we have. I would love for family to share any recipes or stories that they may have as well.


Ultimately I want to have something for my children, Giovanni and Contessa. I want them to know their family, understand their heritage and traditions and keep writing our family’s story for generations to come.


We come from a family of Italians, and only "Eye-talians" for as far back as I can trace, until I married a metagon that is. I think it is well known that Italians are extremely proud of their heritage and traditions, cherish their families, and make just about everything food-centric.


I was going through the books and binders of my Grandmothers’ handwritten, typed, and clipped recipes and as I always do, I started thinking about the hands they had been in and the gatherings they were prepared for.   There are so many traditions that I want my kids to know and so many of them I am sad that I missed. A lot of my family had passed away by the time I was old enough to partake in the traditions. As families grew, schedules became more and more and hectic, and people moved out of the “neighborhood”…  a lot of the traditions faded away.


If you care to join me on this culinary adventure I suggest you put on some Sinatra, and pour a glass of Chianti. Salute!


No comments:

Post a Comment