Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pizzelle- A Family Favorite

Pizzelle- A Family Favorite


Ah Pizzelle! These have been around for just about every occasion. This could be because the recipe makes so many that there are always leftovers. Whatever the case, they are probably one of the most famous Italian cookies.

My grandmom Lucy used the old fashioned stove-top Pizzelle iron for her cookies. I have heard some pretty funny stories about the Pizzelle making process. The one I remember best involves my grandfather falling asleep on the job.


From what I remember of the story, Pizzelle making took a while and I can attest to that! So my grandfather would man the pizzelle iron as my grandmother would load it with batter and remove the cookie when it was done. One evening as they were making pizzelle my grandmother loaded up the iron with batter but my grandfather never closed it.

As my dad and aunt tell it, Grandmom Lucy said "FRANK WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" But he was sound sleep, both hands on the iron holding it open for the next cookie. I remember always thinking .. how could he fall asleep like that?!?! Then I met my husband and I feel history could repeat itself!

It is very neat because I have that Pizzelle iron, and it has the initial "L.P". in the middle which were my initials before I became"L.S." or "L.M.P.S" to be more specific (long story!) .


I have both my Grandmom Lucy's and my Grandmom Rose's Recipe and they are pretty much identical. The only variations are that one calls for Anise Extract and 1 1/2c sugar  and the other Anise Seeds and 1 1/4c sugar. You do not have to use Anise. If you prefer Almond or Vanilla you can substitute either of those.
This is my Grandmom Rose's recipe. Below is my Grandmom Lucy's which is the one I used. 

Pizzelle
6 Eggs
1/ 1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Canola Oil
3 Cups Flour
A few drops Anise Extract

Put sugar and eggs together- mix well
Add oil and anise- mix well
Add flour gradually- mix well

Drop by the tablespoon into heated, well greased iron.

Tip: I used about 1 1/2 tsp. anise extract. It is really a matter of preference as to how much you use. I would use at least 1 Tsp and add from there. These could have used more, next time I will do 2 tsp.


\
\


Buon Appetito!



No comments:

Post a Comment