Saturday, December 21, 2013

Holiday Baking Part 2- Thumbprint Cookies & Oatmeal Peanut Butter w/ White Chocolate Chips

Thumbprint Cookies & Oatmeal Peanut Butter  w/ White Chocolate Chips

It has been quite a day of baking! I have decided to finish up the holiday cookies tomorrow but here are 2 more recipes from today.

Thumbprint cookies are my absolute, hands down favorite cookie ever! They are especially delicious when you let them "age" for a few days and the jelly gets hard and sticky.My mom has a recipe she always uses and my Grandmom Rose had a different recipe which she used. I am including both. I tried both versions this year and I personally liked my mom's thumbprint recipe the best. If you try them both let me know what you think. Excuse the messiness of these cookies as I try every year to make them look pretty but it has yet to work out!  Any tips for making/filling these cookies would be greatly appreciated!

Mom's Thumbprint Cookies

1 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 egg\
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
Jam or Jelly of your choice

Cream together butter, sugar., and egg
Add vanilla and thoroughly blend
Slowly add flour
Roll into small balls and press thumb into the center of each one
Either add jelly before or after baking
Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes

Tip: I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter For Baking and filled them with Blackberry, Raspberry, and Strawberry Seedless Preserves.




Grandmom Rose's Fingerprint Cookies

3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
preserves, jelly, or jam

Cream Butter, sugar, vanilla and egg yolks
Add flour gradually
Roll dough into walnut sized balls and press thumb into center of ball
Fill with flavor jam of your choice
Bake @ 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes

The last cookies I made for today have been a big hit over the past few years. This is becoming one of my Christmas staples. Although this recipe does not currently have a long family history I have a feeling it will have a story with the generations to come. 

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies with White Chocolate Chips

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter softened
1 cup peanut butter 
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick oats
2 cups white chocolate chips 

Grease or line a pan with parchment and preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
In a large bowl beat butter, peanut butter, and sugars until creamy
Add vanilla and eggs until mix is smooth
Stir in flour mixture 
Add oats and white chocolate chips
Drop dough by the teaspoonful 
Bake 10 minutes 
Let cool on pan for a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack 



Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment